3.28.2011

Beauty?

I found some interesting photos the other day when I was looking for Photoshop actions. These are, obviously, pictures of celebrities before and after Photoshop.

I always knew that celebrity photographs where highly edited, but I was a little stunned to see the extent of it.

I was a actually angry when I saw the before and after of Kourtney Kardashian right after having her son. As if you aren't vulnerable enough about your body image after having a baby, but then to be slapped with a picture like that...so completely unrealistic. She went from a plus size/obviously still had a baby belly to a svelte, thin little figure. They cut like an entire half off of her front. Its disappointing that "stars" cant be comfortable enough in their own skin to just rock their own, real bodies. Its sort of a disgrace to us as a culture.


I dont even really know what to say about this one. Madonna is getting so old. Its sad, actually to see how "average" she looks without all that crazy, over the top editing.


What do you think, is it time for Madonna to hang up the leotards? Is it ok that we are constantly fed these unattainable and unrealistic images of beauty? What is beauty if the things that we aim for aren't even real?

10 comments:

  1. All the rag mags leave you thinking Madonna looks AMAZING but she's aging just like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Madonna before and after is insane! I'd already seen the Kourtney Kardashian before/after picture when I read an article about how pissed she was that they cut her in half in the cover photo. Who knows if she was really cross about it, but still... It's no wonder we, as women struggle with body image when the goal is based off of lies and deception... It's completely unattainable!


    And They Lived Happily Ever After...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I think it's time for Madge to retire. Seriously she is old enough to be a grandma. I wonder if she got that memo. haha.

    I had heard that Kourtney K, was angry about the magazine editing too. It really is sad that magazine editors think that if they don't change the way post-baby celebs (actually all celebs)look then they won't get as many readers. I know, I for one, would buy/read it more if they left the post baby bodies alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is sad that magazines do this. As if there aren't enough pressures on mom's to loose the weight. I think Kourtney Kardashian is pretty awesome for speaking out against the magazine (she is also co-sleeps!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello! new follower here. i stumbled upon your blog and i really enjoy it.

    i remember when kourtney karashian spoke out about those pictures. i think that's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would call Kourtney "plus-size", because minus that post-baby belly, I think she looks pretty normal and even thin on the before photoshop pic. I would LOVE to look like that right after having a baby (or not!)... but anyway, you are so right, the re-touching is absurd. Madge looks like one of those creepy porcelain dolls in the second photo. Like Randalin said, no wonder we feel so much pressure- even the celebs don't look like the covers of magazines!!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is beauty if the things that we aim for aren't even real?" That is one of the realest things I've read in a while. Honestly, I stay away from magazines, reality TV, etc. Not intentionally but they just don't call my attention, so I don't look for these figures as something to aim for per se, but I think it's so messed up how deceiving they are to the public. Hey, imagine how those celebs feel though. Like geez, am I that hideous that you guys had to photoshop the hell of my photo!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is beauty if the things that we aim for aren't even real?" - where is that from and do you know who said it ?

      Delete
  8. @anon: I said it, it's not a quote.

    ReplyDelete