8.13.2010

SPEC-tacular

Well. I FINALLY got new glasses today. My Ol' faithful's finally threw in the towel...Actually, I lost them in St. Helena during a weekend stay! Bum-mer!! But they were well overdue. They only had one arm, which was super glued on so that it didn't close and I they were constantly falling off considering they only hooked around one ear.

But I'm happy with my new ones. They'll take a little getting used to, but I'm happy to be able to see again. Considering how fast every day is going bye, I cant afford to miss a single second due to my lack of vision!

That being said, can we talk a little bit about customer service??
I'm not sure if its just me, but I feel like the whole business of customer service has gone to the dogs.
We had quite an unpleasant experience today while trying to purchase my new specs. Let me lay it out for you:

9:45- I walk in to the store with my charmingly adorable bed-headed baby still in his jammies :) I walked up to the counter for assistance. All employees were on the phone.
9:55- (10 mins later) They finally get off the phone and acknowledge me for the FIRST time. She looks at me and says "What can I do for you?"
Me: Uhhhhhhh....... I would like some glasses, hence the fact that I'm in the eyeglass store?!? ( I really just said " I'm looking for glasses")
Her: Ok
Me:..........................
Cruz: Burp
Her: Blank stare
Me: "Should I pick some frames? Or? Um"
Her: "Sure"
10:00- So I browse around for like 15 minutes. I set my bag on the floor because I was holding Cruz + his sling that he was refusing to get in + the toy he was playing with + my cell phone.
The saleslady comes over, bends downs and actually picks up my bag and hands it me, "here you go."
Me: W.T.F...."uh thanks?"
And she walks away. No reply.
10:20- So I pick my frames and let them know I'm ready.
Her: "Ok"
Me: "So should I wait? Or?"
Her: I'll let you know when someone can help you...Unless you want to help her Mark."
Mark: "Someone else should be ready in just a minute. Thats OK with you right?"
Me: "Uh, Sure." By this point I'm starting to feel a little self conscious, as I tend to when I start getting that your-way-too-young-to-be-a-mom-I'm-judging-you-feel-awkward vibe from someone. So, we wait.
10:30- I'm bouncing Cruz around on my hip, playing 'birdie in the air', laughing, bouncing some more....
10:35- An older women walks in at exactly the moment that a sales rep is free. The rep walks over to her and they begin picking out frames and talking prescriptions.
Me: COME. ON.
10:40- An older man walks in, same EXACT thing happens. (p.s I'm not exaggerating)
Me: Double you. Tee. Eff.
10:45- I tell the sales clerk that I'm leaving. Of course they kick right in to gear and are as helpful as could be to take my measurements, get my info, blah blah blah. She tells me she will be right back. So I wait....and wait....and wait.
10:55- She walks around the corner holding frames and talking to another customer.
Me: ????? Really?
So I ask another associate for help and she goes and gets Mark, the first guy who blew me off. He FINALLY, FINALLY finishes the transaction and then proceeds to talk to me about the 12 month old he has at home and how he can relate to how tiring it is.
......
.....
Seriously. Seriously?
You watched me try to shop/entertain my infant/be blown off for an HOUR and now you want to do some commiserating?
Fat chance.

Fast forward to 5:00- I go back for my glasses.
I try them on.
I tell them that they are too loose.
Her: "Well the true test is to put your face down and see if they fall off."
Me: They are too loose"
Her: "If they are too tight they might give you a headache."
Me: "They are too loose."
Her: "Well everyones busy right now so you'll have to wait."
Me: "You can't do it?"
Her: "I don't think so."

What do you mean you don't think so? I'm pretty sure my question warranted a pretty straight forward yes or no.
I walked out without another word.

I won't reveal the name of the eyeglass shop because I have no interest in using my blog as a platform to rag on people....
O.K it was Lens Crafters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if any of you have jobs that deal with customer service, please keep in mind my little jammie-clad Cruz and his vision impaired mother the next time you feel like being unpleasant or unhelpful. We thank you in advance.

2 comments:

  1. I would contact the corporate office and next time you even get a slight feeling of being obviously neglected when you are the customer, walk away....do not tolerate that behavior from a salesperson! I don't care if you are 10yrs old, absolutely no excuse to treat anyone like that...
    Glad to hear you got some glasses tho. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you're glad your Dad wasn't there. I would be more than happy to take you glasses in and get them adjusted.

    ReplyDelete