11.10.2011

Rice Rice Baby

Do you like that all my baby activities can be set to the tune of Vanilla Ice?

I threw this together quickly while Cruz was napping. 
Forgive the awful pictures.
But he loved it so I thought I would share.

We have been playing with rice in the sensory bin for quite some time now. It's SUCH an easy and cheap activity that can change and grow with children.

When he was really little he was happy to just run in through his fingers. 

As he got older I would let him scoop it into empty egg cartons. 

The other day we put a bunch in a big plastic bag, added paint, he shook it up for a while (his favorite part) and then we laid it out on paper to dry in the sun. When it was done he had new blue rice and just changing the color made the whole activity fun and new again.

This day I decided to bury some puff balls in it and gave him some utensils to dig it out with and some bowls to separate it into. 







We also have these wooden scoops that I ordered on etsy that I added after he woke up. They are his favorite because they are just his size (think bath salt size). 

Quick and easy is the name of the game for us lately as Cruz looses interest quickly. 

I'm just going to say rice, rice baby one more time. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this! You think of the best activities! In the summer we tried a similar activity, but used lentils. Unfortunately Kale added some water and we ended up having wet lentils stuck to our porch for MONTHS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, but like the comment above, we use lentils! And only outside as my boy is a DUMPER. That little tray of rice would be upside down in 2 seconds. Anyway, haven't done this with my youngest, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have even thought of doing this but I know the little hummingbird would love it.

    And I'm SO glad you're back to blogging. It wasn't until tonight that I thought of checking. I've missed you girl!

    ReplyDelete